Remove Cat Urine Smell From Any Room in Your House
The fact that your cat had an accident on your carpet or furniture necessitates the use of your strongest handheld carpet cleaner or pet stain remover. However, what's even worse is The potency of cat urine makes the odor permeable even after the mess has been cleaned up.
Cat urine contains uric acid, which contributes to its strong odor and can linger if not cleaned up promptly. Brand manager of Molly Maid, Jennifer Gregory, says that it's frustratingly easy to miss these accidents, so you may need a UV urine-detecting flashlight to help you out. She says, "Unless you actually smell it, see it, or step in it while it's wet, it can be difficult to spot cat urine on carpet." Unfortunately, the odor will take hold if you don't discover it until it's dry.
Fear not if you come home to that inescapable pet odor; instead, take prompt action and employ these tried-and-true methods for eliminating the odor of cat pee from any surface in your home.
Home remedies for pet stains and odors
Cleaning cat urine from carpets
The most important thing to remember when dealing with a stain of any kind is to get to it as soon as possible. It's only halfway there if you can blot up as much of the pee as possible from the spot," says Gregory. As an additional option, Merry Maids' resident cleaning guru Debra Johnson recommends applying a bacteria or enzyme-based cleaner to the area in question in order to effectively clean the carpet. The odor-causing bacteria are degraded by the presence of beneficial bacteria and enzymes. If you want the cleaner to penetrate deeper, as suggested by Johnson, press it in with plastic and leave it over the stain until the cleaner has done its magic.
Here are the detailed steps:
- First, soak up as much pee as you can with a towel.
- Step 2: Clean the area with a bacteria or enzyme-based cleaner.
- Third, leave the plastic sheet over the stain for several minutes while you press in the cleaner.
- Fourth, if necessary, reapply the enzyme product after cleaning with a solution of one cup vinegar to one gallon water.
The Folex Spot Cleaner and the Bissell Pet Stain Eraser are game-changers when it comes to removing tough stains and spots from carpets.
If you want to get rid of the odor of cat urine on hard surfaces in your home, Johnson recommends doing the following:
- First, if any urine is visible, blot it up.
- Second, fill two cups with cool water to which you have added one tablespoon of dish soap.
- Third, apply the solution to a microfiber cloth and wipe down the stained area. Finally, dry the area with a clean microfiber cloth.
- If the smell persists after step 3, sprinkle baking soda over the area and let it sit for at least half an hour.
- After the baking soda has neutralized the odor of cat urine, you can remove any remaining particles with a pet vacuum in Step 5.
Because baking soda is harmless in small amounts, but potentially toxic in large ones, keep your cat and other pets out of the room while you use it.
Cleaning cat urine from upholstery
The litter box isn't always convenient for cats, and they may miss it. Sigh What now Since cat urine often has an ammonia-like odor, cleaning products containing ammonia are not recommended for cat pee stains, as stated by Gregory. The animals "will continue to urinate in the same place if they detect the odor of previous urination" As a result of this, they will know that this is where they need to return to. Vinegar, on the other hand, sends a message to your cat to "stay out" You can remove the odor of cat urine by applying a vinegar solution to the stain and letting it dry.
Cleaning expert Elizabeth Davis from Hudstone Home suggests the following steps for eliminating cat urine odor from furniture:
- To begin, fill a spray bottle with a solution of equal parts vinegar and water.
- To use, step two is to apply the solution generously to the affected area, wait 15 minutes, and then wipe it off with a clean cloth.
- Third, if the smell still persists, repeat the process several times.
According to Davis, you can also clean the area by sprinkling baking soda on it, letting it sit for 30 minutes, and then vacuuming it up. The Bissell Little Green Machine is a great option if you need a vacuum and an upholstery cleaner in one.
Solving the mattress-pee problem:
Photograph: Daria Kulkova/Getty Images
Even after you've cleaned the area where your cat had an accident on the bed, the odor may linger for some time. The following, however, are some suggestions from Alicia Johnson of Cleaning Green LLC, a cleaning company, for taming that obnoxious odor:
- First, apply vinegar to the affected area and let it sit for 10-20 minutes.
- Step 2: Apply your chosen enzyme treatment spray to the mattress in accordance with the product's instructions.
Remove cat urine odor from clothing.
Though it's adorable when a cat cuddles up with its human, accidents do happen, and sometimes you end up with more than cat hair on your clothing after a cuddle session. Quick action is essential if you get cat pee on your clothes; otherwise, the odor will linger. Davis suggests repeating the process of soaking the clothing in a vinegar and water solution until the odor disappears. If that doesn't work, try washing the garments with an enzyme-containing detergent (but don't mix them in with the rest of your laundry; wash them first). Be aware that it may take a few washes to get the stain as well as the odor out of the fabric.
If your cat has a habit of eliminating in inappropriate places, here are some things to try.
- You should take your cat to the vet because he or she may be experiencing health problems that are causing inappropriate elimination behavior.
- In case you don't already have enough, stock up on litter boxes.
- Increase the frequency of litter box cleanings; if you already have a full cleaning schedule, consider investing in a self-cleaning litter box.
- Consider the potential effects of your daily routine on your cat, and if necessary, take measures to alleviate any anxiety your pet may be experiencing.
Composed with help from Marissa Laliberte on additional reporting.
- Brand manager for Molly Maid, Jennifer Gregory
- Merry Maids' resident tidiness guru Debra Johnson
- Professional eco cleaner and Hudstone Home employee Elizabeth Davis
- Expert cleaner and owner of Cleaning Green LLC, Alicia Johnson
- If your cat is spraying outside the litter box, try these ten tips from PetMD.
- Hills, "Getting Rid of Cat Smell in Your Home."
Date of Original Publication: April 8, 2019
Are you interested in purchasing firearms in Ontario? In Canada, firearms can be classified into three categories:Non-restricted (e.g.: most modern hunting firearms, including rifles and shotguns)Restricted (e.g.: primarily handguns)ProhibitedTo legally obtain non-restricted firearms and ammunition in
The following regulations will take effect on January 1st, 2021 for existing members of the Esso Extra program who joined before October 6th, 2020. For new members who joined on or after October 6th, 2020, these rules will be effective immediately.The regulations outlined below pertain to the Esso
To make a call from a phone in Italy, simply dial 001 followed by your desired number. Many Americans feel apprehensive about dialing European phone numbers, but there's no need to worry. With the help of these guidelines and a comprehensive list of calling codes for Europe, the process becomes quite
If you have ordered an item from another country, you may have to pay shipping duties on your package. These duties are specific taxes and fees that are applied to your package by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and are usually paid through the shipping company. However, you might be wondering