How to Apply for a Passport in Canada
In terms of its effectiveness, the Canadian passport is ranked eighth best in the world. It's good for entry into over a hundred countries without a visa. Additionally, it allows you to obtain a visa upon arrival in certain countries.
Contact us at 0333 305 9375 for prompt assistance. In person, over the phone, or online, we are ready to assist you.
To travel internationally, one needs to present documentation of their identity and citizenship, and this documentation takes the form of a passport. Consequently, a Canadian passport serves as a form of identification and proof of citizenship for Canadians going abroad.
If you are a citizen of Canada, you can skip the visa process and just bring your passport when you travel abroad. To enter Canada again after visiting another country, Canadian citizens must have this document.
Canada's federal government began issuing digital passports on July 1, 2013. The biometric holder identification and data security provided by the electronic passport, or e-passport, is a significant improvement.
Electronic passports have the following features:
- Shot on digital camera
- "E-passport" Symbol
- Information about the individual (printed and embedded digitally).
- A second, identical photo of the passport's holder is required.
- Register that can be seen through
- Information about the holder and the passport's validity are printed in a machine-readable section.
The standard passport is intended for infrequent travelers, such as those on business trips or vacations. A total of 36 pages are contained within the blue passport cover.
Passports required for diplomats
The purpose of a diplomatic passport is to facilitate official business, such as attending a meeting of an international governmental organization or a diplomatic conference. A crimson color adorns its cover.
Diplomats and other high-ranking officials, including but not limited to:
- Overseas Canadian diplomats including attachés, trade commissioners, consular officers, ministers, and high commissioners
- Imperial Head of State
- Cabinet Officials
- Undersecretaries of government departments at the federal level
- To the Lieutenant Governors
- Chief Executive Officer
- The Senate and House of Commons Opposition Leaders
- Canadian jurists, including the country's Chief Justice, who sit on Canada's highest court
- Parliamentary leaders from both the United States and Canada
- Ambassadors and representatives of the Canadian government to international organizations and diplomatic gatherings
- Canada's other overseas diplomats
- Canadian representatives at official diplomatic events abroad
- Official messengers
Those on official government missions also require a special passport.
Those who fall into the following categories may apply for the special passport:
- Members of the Privy Council (those who are not in the Cabinet)
- Leaders of individual provinces
- Justices of the Federal Court of Appeal and the Chief Justice
- Officers of provincial legislatures who serve as speakers
- Participants in a provincial cabinet
- Government employees who are not diplomats but are going abroad on official business.
- Those Canadian private citizens who hold executive positions in the various intergovernmental organizations to which their country is a member
- Nominees for official positions at international conferences that are not diplomatic in nature
- Diplomatic and non-diplomatic delegates from the Canadian government
Emergency Travel Documents
When a valid regular, special, or diplomatic passport is not immediately available or is being processed, the temporary passport can be used in its stead. You shouldn't rely on it long-term. Canadian embassies and consulates around the world are where you can get this.
If you are a Canadian citizen and can demonstrate an immediate need for a passport or meet residency requirements, you may be eligible for a temporary passport. Regardless, a passport or consular officer from the Canadian government will evaluate your application based on the validity of your stated reasons, supporting documents, and other requirements.
The machine-readable, eight-page temporary passport includes the following information:
- Informational Biographical Profile
- Digitalized image of the holder
- Visa pages
- Functional Safety Measures
- Black spine
During What Time Period Can a Canadian Passport Be Used?
Regular passports have different validity periods for minors and adults.
A child's passport is valid for up to five years from the time they are issued until they turn fifteen. Both the 5- and 10-year passports are available to adults aged 16 and up.
The duration of validity for diplomatic, special, and temporary passports is set by the officer issuing the document.
Original documents proving Canadian citizenship must be submitted with passport renewal applications. After it has been checked, we will return your document to you.
Your documentation needs to reflect the type of citizenship you hold. The categories below outline the types of documentation acceptable as proof of citizenship:
The following documents attest to your right to citizenship in Canada if you were born there:
- One's original birth certificate, issued by the state or country of birth.
- Certification of Canadian Citizenship
Ways of Citizenship Not Usually Considered
To prove your Canadian citizenship if you were born elsewhere, you'll need to present one of the following documents:
- Foreign birth certificate issued by the appropriate authorities
- Document Proving Canadian Citizenship
- Proof of continued Canadian citizenship certificate
- A Certificate of Naturalization
Not-Your-Typical-Passport Travel Essentials
If you want to enter Canada, you'll need to show official documentation proving who you are, such as a passport, refugee travel document, or certificate of identity.
Identification documents are those issued by a federal, provincial, territorial, or state government, or an overseas organization with equivalent legal standing.
Your valid form of identification must include:
- Birth Date
The following are examples of acceptable forms of identification:
- Document proving Canadian citizenship, such as a passport (current or expired by less than a year).
- A Method for Identifying Staff
- Certificate of Competency as a Driver
- Health insurance card
- Proof of Indian Origin Document
- A Military ID
- To travel on a passport from another country
- Certificate of no motor vehicle use
- Valid government-issued photo identification
Photos for Passports
You must submit two photocopies of your passport for this application. One of the photos' backs must include the following information:
- Here is the full name and location of the photography studio:
- When the passport photos were taken by the photographer
- Guaranteed by the guarantor's signature
- Written confirmation from the guarantor that the likeness is accurate
Help with applying for a Canadian passport is available from our team of experienced immigration attorneys. Contact Us
The following is the necessary fee if you are a U.S. or Canadian resident:
- For a passport valid for 5 years ($120 CAD), an adult must be 16 years or older.
- Passports for 16-year-olds and up in Canada cost $160.
- Cost of a Canadian passport for a child under the age of 15 is CAD $57.
Some of the things that could incur additional charges are:
- For a turnaround time of two business days or less, you can expect to pay $110 CAD for urgent service.
- Pickup in 3-9 business days for $50 CAN express
- Pickup in the Standard Timeframe (within 10 Business Days) - $20 CAN
It costs $355 CAN dollars to travel on a weekend or holiday that is considered a holiday.
Support for administrative tasks
- It costs $45 Canadian to replace a lost or stolen passport.
- The cost of having one copy of your passport page authenticated (up to three copies) in Canada is $45.
- It costs $45 CAD to send your passport records to a different passport agency.
The following is the fee if you are a resident of the United States or any other country:
- Five-year passports cost $190 in Canada for adults (16 and up).
- Canadians over the age of 16 who need a passport valid for 10 years will have to pay $260.
- $100 CAN for a child's passport (up to age 15).
Other administrative passport services, for which you may incur additional fees, include:
- It costs $45 Canadian dollars to replace a passport that has been lost or stolen.
- Canadian Dollars $45 for 1–3 Certified Copies of a Passport Page
How to pay
You should know that there is only one accepted method of payment, and that is
- Accepting credit, debit, or prepaid (embossed) cards via the web as payment
- Authenticated bank checks - endorsed cheques
- Authentic postal money order
For those who are interested in using the aforementioned methods:
- If you're applying for services in Canada, you'll need to either bring cash or have your card details handy to fill out the application form.
- If you're applying from the United States, you'll need to include payment information in your application.
- If you are applying from outside of Canada, you must submit your application and payment electronically or at your local Canadian consulate.
Canada has three distinct passport application types for its citizens. This list includes the following groups:
- Passport expediting usually takes no more than 2 business days.
- Days in Business: 3 to 45
- More than 45 working days
Passports processed in an emergency can usually be obtained within 2 business days.
In the event of an emergency or if you need to travel on a weekend or holiday, you should only count on our urgent service, which guarantees delivery in 2 business days or less. When time is of the essence, you can use the Passport Agency's Same-Day Pickup Service. You are not required to schedule an appointment in advance.
If you need a passport quickly, you must apply at the passport office and provide the necessary documentation. You'll need to present the following papers:
- A letter detailing your travel plans (if taking a car) or proof of transportation (if taking a plane, bus, or train)
- Receipt of the required fees as shown on the travel itinerary
- There must be evidence of a serious illness or death in the family.
- A letter detailing why you need a passport right away, written by you or a third party.
3–45 days of business
Get your passport processed in 3–45 business days.
- Make an appointment at a passport agency
- Verify if a passport agency offers walk-in service.
- Try out the Service Canada Centre and their 10-day turnaround time!
You'll need to bring the above documents in case of an unexpected trip. There may be a delay of up to two weeks in processing your application if you send it via mail.
A $50 express pick-up fee and a $45 transfer fee will be added to your passport application if you need it within three to nine business days.
A passport can be obtained in 45 days or less if:
- Arrange a visit to a typical Service Canada location.
- Make use of the walk-in clinic.
- Post your resume and application.
It may take up to 17 weeks to process an application from start to finish if submitted via mail.
If your passport has been lost or stolen, you must report it to the passport agency and follow their procedures before applying for a replacement.
- Make sure you have all the necessary paperwork and proofs on hand.
- Check out the IRCC website for an application.
- Please fill out the application form.
- Visit a passport agency that offers an emergency pick-up service.
Instructions for Applying for a Canadian Passport for a Minor
Children cannot apply for their own passports, so only certain adults can submit an application on their behalf. These are the kinds of people who should apply:
- A parent (whether or not they are married to each other).
- The parent who has legal custody of the child after a divorce or separation.
- A child's guardian under the law
You must sign the application form before submitting it if you are applying for a child's passport.
In order to apply for a Canadian passport for a minor, you must provide one of the following:
- Documentation demonstrating paternity, such as
- Certificate of Live Birth (Long Form) Including Parents' Names.
- Proof of citizenship (for those who were not born in Canada).
- Certificate of Ontario birth registration
- Declaration of Live Birth for Quebec City Babies
- Court document naming the adoptive parents
- Documentation of parentage from a foreign country showing the baby's name
- Documentation demonstrating legal parental rights, such as:
- Evidence of legal guardianship, such as a court order or certificate
Discover the ways in which we can facilitate your application for a Canadian passport. Learn More
If your passport is lost or damaged, you must decide whether you need a replacement or a new passport.
Gather Together All Necessary Information
Make sure you have everything you need to apply before you get started. If requested, you may be asked to provide additional documentation including but not limited to the following.
- The name change is official.
- Your passport was lost, stolen, or damaged beyond use.
- You'd prefer not to have your birthplace listed on your passport.
- So, you've decided to change your passport's gender designation.
Verify that your passport photo meets Canadian specifications.
Gather Two References and a Guarantor
There are a variety of guarantor needs. Research your specific category on the IRCC website. In order to be valid, your guarantor must sign:
- Obtaining an Application
- Photograph (one of two) for Passport
- All of your identifying documents (if you have them)
It is incumbent upon the arbitrators to:
- Must be over the age of 18
- Have at least a two-year relationship with you
Neither your guarantor nor a member of your immediate family may serve as your referee.
Get the Application Here and Fill It Out
Check out the website of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for the application. Make sure you fill out the appropriate form, as there are separate ones for children and adults.
To avoid wasting time, fill out the form digitally. Append your signature and current email address to each page.
Any citizen of Canada, whether currently residing in Canada or the United States, can apply, with payment arrangements to be made later.
In order to submit, non-Canadian citizens must first pay the appropriate fees.
Paying the fee is not a guarantee that you will receive a passport. If your consular application is rejected, only then will you receive a refund. Aside from the initial deposit, no other payments are refundable.
Complete the Application and Send It In
Depending on the type of service you're applying for and where you live, your submission method may vary.
Canadians at home in Canada
To whom it may concern:
- Call the passport agency in advance if you have less than two days to submit your application.
- Bring your application and proof of payment to a government office in Canada within 3–9 business days (or 10–45 business days).
- For applications with a processing time of 45 business days or more, use a certified courier or traceable mail service to send in the application and proof of payment.
North American expatriates from Canada
Your application and proof of payment must be sent via a certified courier or traceable mail service if you are applying from the United States.
People from Canada living abroad
Applying from outside Canada? Bring in your payment receipt and application to a government office in person.
Acquire a Passport
Verify the pick-up date on your receipt if you've applied for expedited service.
If you are applying from the United States or if you are requesting between 3 and 45 services, or if you are requesting 45 or more services, your passport and original documents will be mailed to you.
In all other cases, the passport-issuing agency will send you an email when it's ready for pickup. When it's time to be picked up, they'll specify the time and place.
There are no additional authorizations, restrictions, or visas necessary for entry into or exit from Canada, but a Canadian passport is still required.
If you need help applying for a new passport or replacing a lost one, IAS is the place to go.
We provide Canadian immigration services, including detailed guides to applying for various categories of Canadian passports. If you're worried about making it on time for your trip, our Rush Application Service can help.
Through our Advice Package, you can get in touch with our team of immigration specialists. The process of applying for a passport can be stressful, but they are willing to offer in-depth travel advice and answer any questions you may have.
If you need immediate assistance, please contact us at 0333 305 9375. Please feel free to contact us in any of the following ways: in person, over the phone, or online
Get in touch with us if you need further assistance with your Canadian immigration case. Contact us
Personalized, all-encompassing immigration counsel that fits your needs and goals
Created to ease the process of applying for a visa
The expedited submission of your visa application is guaranteed by our premium service.
Make sure your chances of winning an appeal are as high as possible. Whatever happens, you can count on us to be your advocates.
Visit any of our UK locations for in-person or over-the-phone immigration advice sessions. Learn more
Are you interested in purchasing firearms in Ontario? In Canada, firearms can be classified into three categories:Non-restricted (e.g.: most modern hunting firearms, including rifles and shotguns)Restricted (e.g.: primarily handguns)ProhibitedTo legally obtain non-restricted firearms and ammunition in
The following regulations will take effect on January 1st, 2021 for existing members of the Esso Extra program who joined before October 6th, 2020. For new members who joined on or after October 6th, 2020, these rules will be effective immediately.The regulations outlined below pertain to the Esso
To make a call from a phone in Italy, simply dial 001 followed by your desired number. Many Americans feel apprehensive about dialing European phone numbers, but there's no need to worry. With the help of these guidelines and a comprehensive list of calling codes for Europe, the process becomes quite
If you have ordered an item from another country, you may have to pay shipping duties on your package. These duties are specific taxes and fees that are applied to your package by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and are usually paid through the shipping company. However, you might be wondering