Has my phone been unlocked?
If you've ever wondered whether your Koodo phone is unlocked, you can easily test it by inserting a SIM card from a different carrier. If there is no pop-up and you can connect to another network, congratulations! It means your phone is already unlocked. How did it get unlocked, you ask? Well, that's because all phones sold in Canada after December 2017 come pre-unlocked.
But don't panic! If you insert a SIM card from another carrier and your device asks for an unlock code or displays "SIM Not Supported," you can easily unlock it online for free through the Self Serve option.
Before you get started, you'll need your serial number, also known as the IMEI. Here are a few options for finding it:
- Dial *#06# and your IMEI will pop up on the screen if it's successful.
- Alternatively, you can check the SIM card tray or the original box for the IMEI number.
- If you're able to remove the phone's battery, look underneath it for a white label with a number on it.
Now, let's go through the steps to unlock your phone online:
- Log in to Self Serve using this link.
- From the Self Serve dropdown menu, choose "Mobile services."
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and select "Unlock your phone."
- Enter the necessary information and submit it.
What happens next?
For Android users:
- We will provide you with the unlock code and send you a confirmation email containing the code. Your phone will prompt you to enter the code once you insert a SIM card from another carrier. Please be extra careful when entering the code, as you have only a few attempts to get it right.
For iPhone users:
- We will submit the unlock request on your behalf, and Apple will unlock your phone. To complete the unlock process, you'll need to insert a SIM card from another carrier or connect to iTunes. We will send you a confirmation email.
You may also come across other messages such as:
- Phone unlocked and ready to go: Your phone has already been unlocked and is ready for use.
- Unlock request in progress (iOS only): Please wait for 5 to 10 minutes while Apple processes your unlock request.
In certain cases, an error message may appear. If this happens, there is a high likelihood that your phone is already unlocked. Begin by inserting a different SIM card from another carrier to determine if you can connect to the network. If you are still unable to connect, send us a private message on Facebook including your phone model and IMEI number.
Important notice! We are unable to unlock phones that fall into the following categories:
- Phones that have been reported as lost or stolen.
- Phones that are blacklisted.
- Phones from carriers other than Koodo or Telus.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why would I need to unlock my phone?
The most common reason for unlocking an old phone is if you plan to give it as a gift, sell it, or use it while traveling. Psst! Why not enhance the gift by referring a friend to Koodo? Both of you can receive a credit on your accounts. More information about our referral program can be found here: koodo.com/refer.
Do I need to unlock my phone if I'm going on vacation?
Only if you wish to use a local number! If you want to use your Koodo number in the United States or internationally, you can either sign up for Easy Roam or utilize your phone with pay-per-use rates while abroad. Learn more about our Easy Roam service here: koodomobile.com/easyroam.
I'm planning to switch from Koodo, do I need to unlock my phone?
In most cases, your phone is already unlocked and compatible with any carrier. Just keep in mind that if you cancel your account before your Tab or Tab Bonus balance reaches $0, you will be billed for the remaining balance (Tab and/or Tab Bonus) in your next statement. Before bidding farewell, allow us to kindly remind you that Self Serve offers numerous fantastic deals just for you! Take a look and see if there's a plan that suits your needs: koodomobile.com/selfserve. Still considering cancellation? Check out this informative page that explains everything you need to know: koodomobile.com/en/help/things-know-about-cancelling-koodo.
Are you interested in purchasing firearms in Ontario? In Canada, firearms can be classified into three categories:Non-restricted (e.g.: most modern hunting firearms, including rifles and shotguns)Restricted (e.g.: primarily handguns)ProhibitedTo legally obtain non-restricted firearms and ammunition in
The following regulations will take effect on January 1st, 2021 for existing members of the Esso Extra program who joined before October 6th, 2020. For new members who joined on or after October 6th, 2020, these rules will be effective immediately.The regulations outlined below pertain to the Esso
To make a call from a phone in Italy, simply dial 001 followed by your desired number. Many Americans feel apprehensive about dialing European phone numbers, but there's no need to worry. With the help of these guidelines and a comprehensive list of calling codes for Europe, the process becomes quite
If you have ordered an item from another country, you may have to pay shipping duties on your package. These duties are specific taxes and fees that are applied to your package by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and are usually paid through the shipping company. However, you might be wondering