Grilled Baked Potatoes
There could be affiliate links in this post. Please review our policy regarding disclosure.
Because they are baked on the grill, these potatoes make a great side dish for any barbecue. They are naturally vegan and Whole30 compliant, have a salty crust, and are incredibly fluffy on the inside. Serve with grilled protein and pile on the toppings.
The Reasons You Should Try This Dish
Did you know that you can use your grill to make baked potatoes?
And that both the interior and exterior are light and airy and crisp.
Baked potatoes worthy of a steakhouse can be made quickly and easily on the grill, eliminating the need to return and forth between the kitchen and the grill. And, um, I forgot to mention that they're salted?
For the simple reason that a salt-crusted baked potato tastes great with anything
What's the secret to these delicious potatoes?
- Their skins are crisp and their fluffy interiors are complemented by a salt crust.
- In this article, we show you how to make them in a few simple steps, complete with illustrations.
- They require no preparation outside of throwing them on the grill, so you can focus on your company and the weather while they cook.
- To make the insides fluffier and to speed up the grilling process, these baked potatoes are precooked in the microwave first.
Recipe for Making Them
Choose your potatoes first. To ensure uniform cooking, select Russet potatoes of similar size.
Grill at high heat with the lid closed for about 15 minutes, or until the temperature reaches 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Then, start working on the potatoes. Scrub the potatoes and stab them all over with a fork. After drying, apply a layer of avocado oil or another neutral oil. Coat the potatoes by turning them over in batches as you pour about 3 tablespoons of oil into a large, shallow bowl. Pull out, then wait for the oil to drain before proceeding.
Spread some Kosher or sea salt out in a third, larger bowl. Place the oil-coated potatoes in the salt bowl and toss to coat evenly.
Make sure there are no openings by wrapping each potato in two layers of foil. Put on grill with lid closed. A skewer inserted into the center of the potato should be met with no resistance after 30 to 40 minutes of cooking.
Unwrap and take off the grill. Purify and reuse
Cut a slit lengthwise down the top of the potato with a knife, and then, with your hands covered in a towel or potholder to avoid burns, press the ends in towards the center to open the potato. If you want to fluff the meat, use a fork to scrape it. Prepare with a variety of condiments
Get That Grill Ready!
The grill must be properly preheated before beginning this or any other grilling recipe. Before adding the potatoes to the grill, make sure it reaches a temperature of at least 350 degrees Fahrenheit (176 degrees Celsius). To get your grill to the ideal cooking temperature, preheat it for 15 minutes with the lid closed.
- Get the grill nice and hot before you start cooking. For further explanation, see the preceding section.
- Salting the potato before baking is not required but produces a deliciously crunchy and flavorful exterior. This is something you should definitely look into.
- To avoid explosive potatoes while microwaving, prick them all over with a fork first.
- Expect a longer cooking time, around 40 minutes, if you need to open the lid to cook other items on the grill. If at all possible, cook with the lid closed. Because of this, the grill can be used as an oven to bake the potatoes.
- Make sure there are no holes or flare-ups by wrapping your potato in two layers of foil.
- Get potatoes that are all about the same size so they cook evenly.
- Cook your potato in the microwave for four to five minutes, or until it yields easily when squeezed (be sure to protect your hand with a towel or potholder). You can start this hours in advance, and if you like, finish it on the grill.
- If you want a crunchy exterior on your potatoes, use a wide, shallow bowl to roll them in salt.
Grilled chicken, steamed broccoli, cheese sauce, chili, ranch dressing, bacon crumbles, salsa, diced tomatoes, and ranch dressing. If you're following a vegan diet or the Whole30 protocol, you might want to try ghee. Vegans and those on Whole30 can both enjoy my Vegan Queso made with vegan cheese shreds.
Other Delicious Recipes
If you're still reading this, congrats; we're basically best friends now. Please let me know what you think of this recipe and rate it using the stars below if you decide to make it. In addition to the aforementioned social media platforms, please follow me on the following:
- a big bowl or plate that can go in the microwave
- 4 potatoes, 8 sheets of aluminum foil
- Grill at 350 degrees Fahrenheit with the lid closed. Put one russet potato in a medium bowl while you preheat the grill. Fork-dent your potatoes, then drizzle them with some neutral oil. Keep one potato aside while you work with the rest.
- Put enough salt in a second medium bowl so that it covers the bottom completely. Put one oiled potato in a bowl, sprinkle with salt, and toss until the potato is evenly coated. Put on a microwave-safe plate or bowl and continue with the rest of the potatoes.
- Put in microwave after you've oiled and salted all the potatoes. For 4 minutes on high, microwave the potatoes in their skins. Take the potatoes out of the microwave and individually wrap them in two layers of aluminum foil.
- Put the potatoes, still in their foil, on the grill rack. Close the lid and grill the potatoes for 30 to 40 minutes, turning occasionally. A reminder that grilling times increase with each lid opening.
- After 30 minutes, start checking the doneness of the potatoes by piercing the skin with a fork or skewer. Remove potatoes from grill when a fork or skewer can be inserted into one with little to no resistance.
- Remove foil from grilled potatoes and set aside. Slice the potato lengthwise down the middle, and then press the two cut ends together to open it up. Use a fork to fluff the potato flesh, then top as desired.
- Before adding the potatoes to the grill, make sure the grill is hot.
- Keep spuds in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
The total servings count shown is an approximation. The number of servings will vary depending on how large you cut each serving.
The listed ingredients are those required for one serving, and the nutritional information shown is for that amount. Macros are approximate and may change slightly based on brand and variety of ingredients.
Following the recipe's instructions will help you determine the serving weight. To determine how many servings a recipe makes, simply weigh the completed dish (without the container) and divide by that weight. The end result is the weight of one serving.
To keep your baked potatoes hot for longer and because it conducts heat, use aluminum foil.
Yes Poking them with a fork a few times during baking releases excess steam, just like any other method. Potatoes can literally blow up if you don't.
Are you interested in purchasing firearms in Ontario? In Canada, firearms can be classified into three categories:Non-restricted (e.g.: most modern hunting firearms, including rifles and shotguns)Restricted (e.g.: primarily handguns)ProhibitedTo legally obtain non-restricted firearms and ammunition in
The following regulations will take effect on January 1st, 2021 for existing members of the Esso Extra program who joined before October 6th, 2020. For new members who joined on or after October 6th, 2020, these rules will be effective immediately.The regulations outlined below pertain to the Esso
To make a call from a phone in Italy, simply dial 001 followed by your desired number. Many Americans feel apprehensive about dialing European phone numbers, but there's no need to worry. With the help of these guidelines and a comprehensive list of calling codes for Europe, the process becomes quite
If you have ordered an item from another country, you may have to pay shipping duties on your package. These duties are specific taxes and fees that are applied to your package by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and are usually paid through the shipping company. However, you might be wondering